Overview of Isotretinoin
- Isotretinoin is a Retinoid (VitaminA like) type drug. It was first synthesised in 1955. It was approved for use and has been available since 1982-3 in North America for the treatment of acne.
- While in recent years it has been shrouded by some controversy, it remains an essential tool in the treatment of severe or persistant acne.
- There are few drugs that provide an actual cure for a medical condition and Isotretinoin is such a medication.
The Changing Role of Isotretinoin
- Dermatologists are tending these days to use this drug earlier in the acne process to reduce both the psychological burden of chronic acne and also to prevent permanent scarring.
- Patient selection, strict adherence to pregnancy prevention and close follow up of patients while on Isotretinoin make this a relatively safe experience. Refer to