- 40 mg po daily for 2-4 weeks.
- Starting at a lower dose decreases the potential of an acne flare and produces a less severe onset of side-effects such as dryness and it helps with compliance.
- Occasionally a low initial dose such as 10mg a day can be used if the physician or patient are anxious about side effects.
- 1mg/per kg per day can be used after 2-4 weeks bearing in mind that the caps are 10mg and 40 mg each.
- The most common dose is 40mg alternating with 80 mg per day for the averaged sized person and 80mg -120 mg for larger patients.
- A cumulative dose of 120mg/kg is usually the minimum required even in those whose acne clears quickly. If new acne lesions appear after this total dose has been achieved many dermatologists will continue with therapy until no new lesions appear.
- Very severe acne or those with extensive acne on the chest and back, higher cumulative doses of up to or above 150mg/kg total dose are used.
*Not much benefit in most beyond 150g/kg total dose