A louse comb can be used to remove lice and nits. Metal combs are more sturdy than plastic ones, and many people recommend soaking the combs in rubbing alcohol, water and anti-lice shampoo or a 2% Lysol solution for one hour before using.
Here are some other tips to help you successfully remove lice and eggs:
- Before you begin, mix a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water and apply it to the hair. This may loosen the cement-like material that holds the nits onto the hair. Shampoo it off and dry the hair.
- Brush the hair straight.
- Work in good light conditions.
- Pull the comb outward from the base of the hair at the scalp.
- Try to remove all the eggs that are close to the skin.
- This should be repeated every one to two days for 2 weeks.
It is a slow tedious process and in itself does not have a high rate of cure.